Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Top Gear

As a librarian I have always been interested in collection development and user advice. And, as an M.G. nut it has been one of my dreams to be involved in the collection development of a library with an automotive subject specialty (Leichhardt is lovely this time of year, and my resume is on the web). So I see the advent of Web 2.0 as, not only a source of interaction between like minded people but also as, an opportunity to fulfill those career dreams that have not been fulfilled in the analog world. One of the greatest benefits is that here I can give my valued reader access to print, video and electronic resources from one location, a digital fully equipped library if you will. So with that in mind lets proceed with my first review.
Someone who obviously loves their job is Jeremy Clarkson. Love him or hate him ( I think he should be PM) the man knows how to get attention. I see him as the Stephen Hawking of motoring books and DVDs. I don't mean that he's a genius, far from it. What I mean is he is able to attract a strong following and avid fan base, many of whom couldn't care less about cars. I have worked with people who think automotive technology peaked with navy blue Hyundai Excels but they love Jeremy! Stephen Hawking did the same with "A brief history of time". I've seen shop assistants on commuter trains reading about Professor Hawkings take on quantum physics and they were engrossed, not confused. That's the kind of ability Jeremy has. He makes his subject accessible to those who normally wouldn't bother. Is he an M.G. fan? Hmmmmm. Well in this case, I think so. Sure his comments about the build quality of more recent M.G.s put many a union reps nose out of joint but honesty can sting.
Stephen Fry said that in his youth he once missed an episode of Doctor Who and he never regained that moment. Well, thanks to Web 2.0 those days are over. Now I missed the Top Gear episode where MG-Rover got its revenge on Jeremy for all those nasty things he's said about them over the years but here is that moment to watch again and again...
Nothing better than watching someone get their head caved in for Blighty...
Update: Now this says a lot don't you think. This video has been removed from Youtube! So, contrary to what I said earlier, does this video still exist? As far as Youtube is concerned, no it doesn't. So, the promise of the net maintaining our knowledge for us, negating our need to store our data on our home computers is not entirely true. Copyright still exists and the owners have the right to have their intellectual property protected. Lets face it, Top Gear is one of the jewels in the Beebs crown and they wish to maintain that.

No comments: